On Tuesday 11 August 2009 03:06:21 Thomas Sachau wrote:
> Ben de Groot schrieb:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The qting-edge overlay (the official overlay for the Gentoo Qt team) is
> > a great success as a place to develop new ebuilds, packages, eclasses,
> > to prepare new releases, to maintain bleeding edge stuff like live
> > ebuilds and especially as a training ground for new recruits. I thought
> > it would be a good idea to do something similar for our multimedia
> > related projects, and Steve "beandog" Dibb agreed.
> >
> > So hereby we announce the Gentoo Multimedia overlay. It is located at
> > http://gitorious.org/gentoo-multimedia and any developers who want to
> > join can let us know their gitorious account name, so they can be added.
> > Administration of the overlay will be shared among the participating
> > Gentoo devs, so new committers can quickly be added. Any users that want
> > commit status can get access after their work is found to be of
> > sufficient quality. We encourage this, as the overlay is also a training
> > ground for new contributors to Gentoo.
> >
> > We would like to invite anyone interested in developing and maintaining
> > ebuilds related to multimedia in the wider sense: video, sound, tv,
> > graphics and fonts. If you have any live ebuilds or otherwise bleeding
> > edge packages, you can move them to the overlay for testing and shared
> > maintenance.
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > Ben
>
> Is there a special reason, why we need to split things even more? Why not
> invite those devs and interested users to sunrise? Training ground for
> interested users is one of the main goals of our project.
@Ben
Great news. We do maintain many multimedia packages on qting-edge so those can
me moved to multimedia overlay since I think it is more appropriate.

@Thomas, I think you missed the "bleeding edge" part of Ben's e-mail :). By
"bleeding edge" we mean live, snapshots or even version bumps for many
packages that are not ready or well tested to be on portage tree yet. Sunrise
philosophy is to NOT include ebuilds for packages that are already on portage
so we can't use sunrise as an alternative.
--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer [KDE/Qt/Sound/Sunrise]