On 08/22/2009 04:27 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 08/22/2009 06:40 AM, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
Huh? This is true of all overlays.

Not the ones I'm using.

Have you ever used the X11, GNOME or KDE teams overlays?

Nope.  I had to remove them again due to the problem I mentioned.

Most of the
overlays around exist so that people can work on important updates to
existing packages or to test new ideas / features.
In that respect, sunrise is a "special overlay" as it follows the rule
that it must not contain any package in the tree. IOW, overlays having
just new packages, not present in the tree or other overlays, are the
exception, not the norm.

They are pretty much the only ones I use though (at this time, interactive-fiction, oss-overlay and sunrise.) The others are a pain to keep due to portage not being able to use only packages from overlays that don't exist in portage.

Of course that's my personal opinion. I don't use "developer/experimental" overlays, I only use those who provide some extra packages I want. And I was under the impression that pure-funtoo falls under this category: providing packages that don't exist in portage.