Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> I use overlays for packages I can't get through portage.  If they
> conflict, I don't use them.

Why do you apply such a general rule?
For instance I have been using  dev-util/diffuse  from the zugaina
overlay until a newer version went into the gentoo tree.

Portage tells you which overlays the packages you're about
to install come from.

I agree though, that masking is not a perfect solution here, or not even
a solution if you want.  Support for overlay-specific atoms could be a
solution I think.  In case you have the time helping us bring that to
Gentoo that would be cool, I actually want support for that, too.

Sebastian