On 02/16/2010 12:12 AM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:51:59PM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 02/15/2010 11:21 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
This is my last blocker for getting MySQL 5.1 series into ~arch status.

====
itle: MySQL 5.1 unmasking
Author: "Robin H. Johnson"<robb...@gentoo.rog>
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 1.0
Display-If-Installed:<dev-db/mysql-5.1

The 5.1 series of MySQL is going to be unmasked at the same time as the release
of this news item. When upgrading from an older major version, you will be
required to rebuild everything linked to the libmysqlclient.so.15.
====
I assume "older major version" means 4.x versions and older, not 5.0, right?
The following transitions required rebuilds:
3.23 ->  4.0
4.0 ->  4.1
4.1 ->  5.0
5.0 ->  5.1

5.1 ->  5.[45]  don't require anything at present, but 5.x ->  6.0 may.

Major version in the context of upstream MySQL is the first TWO digits.

This should be mentioned in the news item since what MySQL thinks are "major" version numbers disagrees with the common sense of:

  Major.minor.patch

Most people will interpret "older major version" as being MySQL 4.x and older.