On 03/03/10 15:51, Ben de Groot wrote:
> On 3 March 2010 19:45, Mart Raudsepp <l...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> I don't believe we should selectively cripple one GUI toolkit with not
>> having proper printing support out of the box on a desktop profile,
>> while others do, just because maintainers are lazy.
>>
> I'm not talking about selectively disabling cups. My proposal is
> to no longer enable the cups useflag in the base profile. I don't
> think cups should be part of the base profile, and as a result
> cascading to the desktop profile. And a lot of people seem to
> agree. Users can always enable that functionality when they
> need it. It is not something that is necessary for running a
> desktop system.
>
> Cheers,

I agree that CUPS is not really necessary in the desktop profile, and
especially in the base profile.  Many systems run desktop environments
without needing printing support.  As we advance further toward a
paperless computing experience, the need for printing support becomes
even less.  And, as it is incredibly simple to add print capabilities by
placing the cups USE flag in /etc/make.conf, that choice should be left
to the user.

Regards,
Nathan Zachary