On 03/03/2010 09:41 PM, Dale wrote:
So in the situation above, removing cups doesn't help any? The user
would still have to work around the dependency problem. Is there not a
better way to handle this?

Agreed that there should be better ways of handling things.

However, at the very least if somebody follows the instructions in the Gentoo Handbook to the letter, they shouldn't end up staring at an error message. A completely scripted install using any non-experimental profile should "just work."

So, removing the use flag should probably be done at least in the interim.

That said, I do agree that we need to try to avoid this circular dependency in the first place. It is kind of silly that you can't even do an emerge -u world right out of a stage3 using a fairly common set of use flags and get a working system.