Am 06.06.2010 13:50, schrieb Domen Kožar:
>> And if you add a python slot or remove one, portage currently is not able to
>> see that and to
>> reinstall packages, which had modules installed for that slot. You need
>> another tool
>> (python-updater) to check that and to call the needed reinstalls.
>
> I agree with this fact, user should not be required to read additional
> documenation for portage to function as wanted.
>
> I'm very unfamiliar with inner workings of portage, but using
> python-updater implementation, USE_PYTHON behaviour shouldn't be that
> hard to implement?

You want some additional switch to portage, which does the work of
python-updater? That would just
move the code, but would still have the same limitations. What does speak
against explicit user
control for optional features/slots, including dependency handling by the
package manager like in my
proposal?

--
Thomas Sachau