Am 06.06.2010 15:35, schrieb Domen Kožar:

>>> I agree with this fact, user should not be required to read additional
>>> documenation for portage to function as wanted.
>>>
>>> I'm very unfamiliar with inner workings of portage, but using
>>> python-updater implementation, USE_PYTHON behaviour shouldn't be that
>>> hard to implement?
>>
>> You want some additional switch to portage, which does the work of
>> python-updater? That would just
>> move the code, but would still have the same limitations. What does speak
>> against explicit user
>> control for optional features/slots, including dependency handling by the
>> package manager like in my
>> proposal?
>>

> Maybe I expressed myself wrong. Portage would only reuse python-updater
> to detect and repair changes with python installation.
>
> If I understand correctly, one solution would be to pull stable 2.x, and
> only install other slots according to USE_PYTHON.

And how would that improve the current implementation?

If you only reuse python-updater code inside portage, the issues of the current
implementation still
remain. And you dont seem to answer my question.

Why dont you want to allow the user to control *per package*, for which slots
it should be installed?
And why dont you want to allow the package manager to mangle the dependency
part with already
existing code ( USE flags and --newuse, dependency tree and --depclean)?

--
Thomas Sachau

Gentoo Linux Developer