Brian Harring wrote:
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 05:14:16PM -0500, Dale wrote:
Lars Wendler wrote:
Am Mittwoch 16 Juni 2010, 14:45:21 schrieb Angelo Arrifano:

On 16-06-2010 14:40, Jim Ramsay wrote:

Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn<chith...@gentoo.org>   wrote:
One notable section is 7.6 in which Adobe reserves the right to
download and install additional Content Protection software on the
user's PC.

Not like anyone will actually *read* the license before adding it to
their accept group, but if they did this would indeed be an important
thing of which users should be aware.

I defend it is our job to warn users about this kind of details. To me
it sounds that a einfo at post-build phase would do the job, what do you
guys think?

Definitely yes! This is a very dangerous snippet in Adobe's license which
should be pretty clearly pointed at to every user.

Could that also include a alternative to adobe?  If there is one.
The place to advocate free alternatives (or upstreams that are
nonsuck) isn't in einfo messages in ebuilds, it's on folks blogs or at
best in metadata.xml... einfo should be "this is the things to watch
for in using this/setting it up" not "these guys are evil, use one of
the free alternatives!".

Grok?

~harring

I was thinking more along the lines of "the end user license has changed substantially for this package. If you don't accept the changes and want a alternative package, you can look into xyz or wyz." Nothing about being evil, just information.

This way the user knows it has changed, they can read it and then if they have problems with it, they can then use something else. I have all licenses accepted in my make.conf, as does another poster in this thread, but I do hope that I would be notified if a package is going to install or otherwise change my system. I'm using Gentoo because I DON'T want things installed that I don't know about. After all, the first line of defense in open source distros is the developers. Just think, would your reaction be different if it explicitly said it was going to install spyware? After all, no one knows what it may install and then do. Some users may decide they don't want to take that chance if they know about it. Right now, they may not even know about it. If I wasn't subscribed here, I wouldn't either.

Just my thoughts.

Dale

:-) :-)