On 06/19/10 19:59, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>> This is a point that deserves more consideration. One of the top
>> reasons (as witnessed in forum discussions)
>
> Unfortunately, that's selecting a rather biased audience. The success
> of a forum depends upon the number of active posters it has. The number
> of active posters it has depends upon how many people need to post
> there to get answers to questions, and how many wrong answers have to
> be given before the right answer comes up. Thus, by selecting from the
> forums, you're picking an audience that likes talking endlessly about
> communities, not one that likes to answer a question once, correctly,
> and then change things so the question doesn't need to be answered
> again.

This may apply to easy and/or 99%-technical problems with a dictator
around.  That's not what we have here.  It's two black-and-white for my
taste, too.

>> Does Gentoo really prefer to keep more sensitive people out instead
>> of effectively getting rid of repeat offenders?
>
> All bringing more sensitive people in does is cripples the
> distribution's ability to delivery any technical improvements,

Looking at it the other way around: with more sensitive people around,
collaboration would work better potentially leading to less loss of time
and energy and therefore quicker arrival of improvements.

>> Think about it. What kind of people would you rather have in Gentoo?
>
> Personally, I'd like to see Gentoo start having the kinds of people who
> deliver a better product, not the kinds of people who worry that using
> a gender-ambiguous cow as a logo might be offensive.

I don't consider that comment respectful.

Sebastian