Ciaran,

On 06/19/10 21:16, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> No, that's the nice thing about delivering a product based upon
> technical merit: most of the time, there are right answers and there
> are wrong answers, and careful investigation and good management can
> lead to it being determined which is which.

I think you neglect differences in values.

Say the degree of backwards-compatibility: there's no wrong nor right
without values.  Both sides have pros and cons.

> Collaboration works when good ideas get kept and bad ideas get dropped.
> Collaboration fails when good ideas are rejected because people don't
> like who came up with them

If you had better tone it would be much easier to accept the good among
your ideas.

> or the tone in which they were presented, or
> when bad ideas are kept around to avoid hurting the feelings of the
> people who came up with those ideas.

Saying "no" politely is hard, not impossible.

>>> Personally, I'd like to see Gentoo start having the kinds of people
>>> who deliver a better product, not the kinds of people who worry
>>> that using a gender-ambiguous cow as a logo might be offensive.
>>
>> I don't consider that comment respectful.
>
> But do you consider it to be correct?

No, I don't.  I have said "technical is not our main problem" many times.

Best,

Sebastian