On 06/27/10 20:33, Brian Harring wrote:

>>> The main offender is the compression program, not tar.
>>
>> hmm, I'm exclusively using bzip2 and never had these problems
>> yet. maybe it depends on the compressor type.
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0025.html#the-problem-in-detail
>
> Note also that bzip2 had another change in output after that
> release- my memory is failing me a bit, but it was roughly a
> a reduction of their hash size to fix a CVE- either way, same thing,
> differing output.
Are you thinking about
"bzip2 version 1.0.2 worked with huffman codes with a length of up to 20
bits. Unfortunately the Author of bzip2, Julian Seward, changed this in
the new version 1.0.3 - it uses only a maximum length of 17 bits now. "
(Quoted from http://linux01.gwdg.de/~nlissne/bugsandproblems.html ) ?