On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 01:16:18AM +0200, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis
wrote:
> We received too many invalid bugs caused by unsupported locales.
> python_pkg_setup() needs to check
> locale and print error (using eerror(), without die()), when unsupported
> locale has been detected.

I'm strongly with Brian on this. You receive too many valid bug reports
caused by a broken package.  python_pkg_setup needs to do nothing. You
need to fix the bugs, or if fixing them is too much of an issue, work
around them in the ebuild. Keep in mind that having no locale explicitly
selected is the default for a Gentoo installation, and that the docs do
not (and should not) say anywhere that non-UTF-8 locales are unsupported.
In fact, quoting from
  <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml>:

"It's also possible, and pretty common especially in a more traditional
 UNIX environment, to leave the global settings unchanged, i.e. in the
 "C" locale. Users can still specify their preferred locale in their own
 shell RC file:"