On 09/20/2010 07:30 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
> Under the new system I can put the code:
>
> 1) In a global eclass, any ebuild can likely use it
> 2) In a per-package eclass, only one package can use it
> 3) In a pkg eblit, only one package can use it

Per package eclasses are pretty much eblits with some PM support thrown in.

> Wouldn't taking code from a global eclass and moving it to a
> per-package eclass limit code re-use?

No, code reuse will stay the same. What I like about the idea is moving
more of the code closer to the ebuild files, tightening it's scope. No
more wondering (as an ebuild author) if and how I could use
php5_2-sapi.eclass - it just wouldn't be there.

I'll answer more points tomorrow, but thanks for your ideas!