On 9/20/10 7:30 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
> How does it provide more code sharing than the existing system?
>
> Previously I could put code I wanted shared:
> 1) In a global eclass, which means any ebuild in the tree can likely use it

A global eclass is quite heavyweight. It requires a review on
gentoo-dev, is difficult to deprecate, and so on. That's discouraging if
you only want to share 2-3 simple functions used by only one package.

> 2) In a pkg eblit

Which is hacky.

> Wouldn't taking code from a global eclass and moving it to a
> per-package eclass limit code re-use?

No. It lowers the barrier to entry in cases where the shared code is
only useful for one package. It can always be promoted to a global
eclass later (with a proven API).

Paweł