On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 08:26:47PM +0200, Torsten Veller wrote:
> * Markos Chandras <hwoar...@gentoo.org>:
> > > >

> > > I think whenever faster than the standard 30 days is used then there
> > > should be a reason in the mask entry.
> > >
> > You need more reasons that those I already mentioned? The package is
> > broken, can't be fixed in any way, since there is no upstream anymore and
> > plus there
> > are more featureful programs to view youtube videos than this one. Imho,
> > the 30
> > days does not make sense here.
>
> If I am not completely out of date, portage doesn't warn you if you have
> a package installed that is no longer available, meaning the ebuild was
> removed from your repositories.
>
> If you don't sync while the package is masked, you might not realise
> that you have removed software installed.
>
> That might be one reason to keep the package.mask entry longer than 15
> days. Or I and the premise are completely wrong, then why don't you
> remove the package in one week?
>
> --
> Regards

To my knowledge this package is broken for more than 6 months, since the
first change in Youtube API occurred, and the last commit in svn is in 2008. No
one
should have this package installed, and if he does, he simply
don't/can't use it. I want to remove it in 15 days, so the *desktop
users* ( who sync rather often, unless you watch youtube videos on your
server) are aware of the situation and find sometime to migrate to the
alternatives. I really don't understand what is the big deal about this.
I want to remove a heavily broken program. Does it really matter when I
am gonna remove it since nobody can use it anyway? Anyway, I will extend
the deadline to 30 days if that makes you happy. End of story now please
--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer