On Sunday, January 02, 2011 02:31:06 Ryan Hill wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 00:08:34 -0500 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Saturday, January 01, 2011 23:09:11 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> > > BTW: several blog/maillist postings talked about the problem that
> > > even on recompile, older library versions could be linked in even
> > > on recompile.
> >
> > you'll need to provide an actual example.  i have yet to see one.
>
> Not exactly the same thing, but the recent spidermonkey bump changed the
> lib from libjs.so to libmozjs.so.  mediatomb kept finding the old libjs on
> rebuild.  I had to uninstall mediatomb to dump the library and reinstall
> it.
>
> There's not much we can do about stuff like that, but it's not an uncommon
> occurrence.  I usually run into a sticky preserved lib or two every couple
> months.
>
> I still think it's much better than the current portage 2.1 behavior which
> results in a broken mediatomb.  I'll take the rare possibility of a symbol
> collision over a guaranteed broken package any day.

yes, this is a case where linking would pick up the old library.  but that is
*only* because the SONAME is stupid and is the same thing as the link name.
imo, these packages are pretty much broken and should get their SONAME fixed.
a simple change as making the SONAME "libjs.so.0" instead of "libjs.so" would
make this a non-issue.
-mike