On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 11:36:00AM +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> USE="hal" is masked in base/use.mask, but unmasked for kde-base/solid
> and app-cdr/k3b in base/package.use.mask pending on KDE 4.6.x stabilization.
>
> This is preparation for dropping the uncompressed usb.ids file from
> sys-apps/usbutils, which HAL relies on.
>
> Also, both udisks and upower now have blockers for sys-apps/hal to
> prevent overlapping features.
>
> -Samuli

Good evening,

Why didn't you use the news utility to inform users about this change
and possible transition steps/migration guide? This is a rather big
change that might (or may not) require a bit of effort from non-power
users to migrate their systems to the new backend. A short summary of
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-858965-start-0.html
would be nice but I guess it is too late for that since another
major change occurred without advertising it properly to our users.

Regards,