On 05/01/2011 08:06 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
> Isn't it possible to create a better SVG then?

It may be.  Of the three variants trying to match the Blender version
that I have seen so far, none is a replacement of equal quality on the
bling scale to my impression.  They feel like tradeoffs, not like the
real thing.  Maybe they try to come too close to the ray-traced
rendering, but I'm not sure if I really want to propose a different
direction either.

> I think such a variant
> would be much more portable and reproducible than blender files.

What I dislike about the idea of moving to a new logo is that we would
give up part of our culture just because we were unable to move it from
past to present to future.  Imagine this dialog:

 A: "Hey guys, I noticed you have a new logo?"
 B: "Yeah, blender rendering changed - so we dropped it."

I don't really want to be B in that dialog.  I see the pragmatic aspect
of moving to SVG but it also has the taste of giving up to me.  To
vercome that taste, a very strong replacement would be needed.

If we replace the Blender "g" we may also need a substitute for the
red-white Blender "gentoo" as seen at
http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/*docroot*/images/gentoo-new.gif
if just for the sake of consistency.

I am wondering what effect the Blender nature of a logo does have on the
capability and will of people to create fan art based on it compared to
an SVG version.  It seems like there is only a handful of 3D Gentoo
wallpapers but does that mean it would have been more with an SVG
version, instead?  On what levels could SVG work as a catalyst?

If we ported the logo to Blender 2.57 now: what can we do to not be
running after Blender rendering changes for all time or to reduce their
impact on us?  Is this a natural cost or an evil one?

Just my 2 cents.

Best,

Sebastian