On 05/05/2011 12:00 PM, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> On Thu, 05 May 2011 17:23:51 +0200, Paweł Hajdan, Jr. wrote:
>> Currently I'm using the default/linux/x86/10.0/developer profile, but
>> I'd like to switch to hardened on my developer system to catch more
>> issues.
>>
>> However, eselect profile list only displays one hardened profile for me:
>>
>> $ eselect profile list
>> Available profile symlink targets:
>> <snip>
>>
>> I'm using eselect-1.2.11.
>>
>> When listing the profiles directory in CVS, the hardened profile seems
>> to have developer and other sub-profiles:
>>
>> ph@localhost ~/gentoo-x86/profiles $ ls -l hardened/linux/x86/
>> total 48
>> <snip>
>>
>> Any ideas how to get a hardened+developer profile?
>
> Those profiles that you are seeking are *not* listed in
> PORTDIR/profiles/profiles.desc which is why they don't show up in
> eselect output. This means that repoman does not check those profiles
> at all. I am curious as to how much value they actually have ;) With
> that being said, eselect is NOT the only way to set your profile, you
> can just as easily create a symlink.
> -Jeremy

We simplified our profiles recently (last Oct-Nov 2010) and I only
listed hardened/linux/x86 in profiles.desc.  You can manually set

    ln -s ../usr/portage/profiles/hardened/linux/x86/developer
/etc/make.profile

The only thing to be careful of is that there is a lot of cruft under
the hardened profiles, some really old deprecated material that I have
not yet cleared out.  You really don't want to use one of that.  Just
watch out for any warning about deprecated profiles.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]