On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 07:14, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> thinking about it a little more, i think this can easily be addressed.
>>  only auto-generate the ChangeLog file if it doesnt exist in VCS.
>> thus the few people who are actually anal about typos (or just think
>> they are) can retain their ChangeLogs in the packages they maintain
>> and continue to hand update them.  for the rest of us, we can
>> autogenerate from the VCS logs.
>
> I'm not sure we should really leave that up to individual practice.
> Remember that while packages have one or more maintainers, nobody
> "owns" a package.

the maintainer kind of does own that

> If 99% of the tree is ChangeLog-free then will an
> arch team remember to run echangelog on the 1% that still have them,
> and so on?

fair point, although overlays and such wont have changelogs generated
automatically, so there is going to be a disconnect.  we could have
echangelog simply ignore a missing ChangeLog file so that people dont
have to change their scripts ...

> If typos matter then they matter to everybody, and if they don't then
> we should not care.  QA in Gentoo should be a consistent experience.

while the last sentence is true, the first is not.  if a minority of
people care about typos, and/or they rarely fix said typos, then the
logical answer is that their opinion loses out.  it doesnt mean that
everyone agrees.
-mike