On Friday 10 of June 2011 20:08:00 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 16:37:46 -0500
>
> Matthew Summers <quantumsumm...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > After consultation and discussion at length with several developers, I
> > am writing to announce the impending revival of the tool known as
> > app-admin/webapp-config effective immediately.
>
> You might want to chuck it out and start from scratch...
>
> Much of the difficulty with the original webapp-config was that it was
> designed to work on Windows. Stuart's plan was to create a distribution
> and operating system independent way of dealing with web apps, sort of
> like CPAN; Gentoo was merely the testbed. If your goals don't match
> that, you're probably better rethinking everything than trying to revive
> something that was designed for a completely different purpose.

Also, for pure Gentoo needs it may be better to replace webapp-config with
package manager and eclasses.
So to install web apps to /usr/share or sth and provide apache config files to
set up those webapps like Debian does for instance - so dispatch-conf would be
utilized for tracking config file modifications and uninstall via unmerge

One major obstacle is that we have quite a number of web servers to support if
we're to provide out of the box experience for those web apps.

--
regards
MM