On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 20:03:34 -0430
"Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)" <neurog...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <d...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> [...]
> > So I know a bunch of people have already looked at it, and I'd like
> > to know: what do you find better about the Ruby approach compared
> > to the Python approach? Is it just the size of python.eclass, or
> > are there a number of other issues?
>
> Let´s start by agreeing with the complexity of the Python eclass. And
> a heavy change right now, is going to be painful to say the least
> because a great deal of packages have been adapted to work the way the
> eclass works right now.
>
> [...]
>
> As I said it already, we could start doing things simpler in the
> current python.eclass and maybe that would attract some devs to help
> out with it, as they find it more comfortable to work with.

I think it would be better to simply start from scratch with
a clean python-2.eclass. Instead of adding new features and another lot
of conditionals for EAPI=4, just make that code a part of new eclass.

And remember, the more complex code is, the more painful it becomes for
things like metadata generation.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny