On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Roy Bamford <neddyseag...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> As far as I am aware, under the current organisation there is no legal
> connection between the Gentoo Foundation Inc., and the Gentoo
> distribution.

True, but that doesn't mean that the Foundation might not be found
liable for things done using Foundation property, like servers, domain
names, and trademarks - especially if the Foundation has prior
knowledge of these actions.  I'm not sure the car example was
accurate, since in this case the distribution is being facilitated
using Foundation property and clearly at this point the Foundation has
knowledge that it is occurring.

Regardless of who can get sued, we should comply with the GPL
regardless.  To that end I agree that we should refrain from shipping
historical binaries unless we also tarball portage and the distfiles
from the same period of time.  I definitely agree with his suggestion
that we should always make both available online simultaneously to
avoid the 3-year rule.

I'm sure that if the FSF were concerned they'd ask us nicely before
suing anybody - especially since we are an FOSS effort ourselves that
tries to comply with the GPL/etc.  So, the risk is low, but that isn't
a reason not to comply.

Does anybody have a strong objection to removing historical binary
distributions of Gentoo on any Gentoo-controlled/linked servers, or
general disagreement with Duncan's proposal?  I don't really want to
get sidetracked into a debate about the boundaries between
Council/Trustees/Foundation/Distro unless there is an actual
disagreement on the matter at hand.

Rich