2011/11/11 Brian Harring <ferri...@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 08:58:14AM +0100, Tom???? Chv??tal wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> In last 3 days i recompiled chromium 3x
>>
>> 1x rebuild for cups useflag
>> 1x update
>> 1x rebuild for cups useflag
>
> <snip>
>
> Chromium moves fast and you're obviously running unstable keywording.
> Meaning you're *intentionally* getting every beta channel release.
I am getting dev releases...

> Nicely phrased, your complaint is that having ran unstable keywords,
> it's moving too fast for your taste.  Stable keywords seem like an
> obvious solution to it.

It already happened multiple times in the past and i am not bitching
about the updates but to updates to ebuild without bump...

> One thing that is less obvious is that there are essentially two
> flavors of unstable chromium- dev and beta.  Currently beta is 17.*,
> dev is 16.*.  If you don't want bleeding edge, but want faster than
> stable, pmask 17.*.
As i said i am on 16 which is in testing, beta series is masked.

> That said... you're complaining that having ran unstable, you're
> having to rebuild too much.  Stable exists for a reason.
>
> Either way, I suggest folks flip through the changelog- not seeing
> anything egregious in bumping, refactoring appears to go out during
> upstream version bumps.
>
> For the cups rebuild referenced above is a build compilation failure
> that was rolled out in existing versions (or in version bumps).  It
> may be an annoyance to Tommy that emerge -N picked it up, but for
> folks hitting the build failure, they obviously view it a bit
> differently (as evidenced by a fair amount of bitching on the bug in
> question).
>
> If you really, really want to keep running bleeding edge, rebuilding
> for every change that occurs on it but selectively slowing down
> certain builds... well, patch portage and mangle the existing vcs
> rebuild code to be usable for other packages, adding a feature along
> the lines of "I want to run bleeding edge X, but rebuild it only
> weekly".
>
> Barring that, the solutions for your user configuration problem are
> above.

The build issue was with -cups so useflag was removed and hard
dependency enabled, fine with me.
But why the fuck the bump was issued next day still hard-depending on
it and in day after that this commit arrived in:

http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/www-client/chromium/chromium-16.0.912.32.ebuild?r1=1.1&r2=1.2

You are telling me this is build time failure fix, you are telling me
that people that already had pulled in that cups could not sleep
thanks to it and survive for another week to get the flag back with
bump?