Excerpts from Thomas Sachau's message of 2011-11-13 13:39:17 +0100:
> This can be argued from either side, if the default is verbose, you
> can make it quiet in the default emerge opts and the other way round.
> So this is no argument for or against default quiet build in my eyes.

Not every user studies manpages of every program they use.  Making
--quiet-build=y default is a *benefit* for people who don't care much.
If somebody cares about the output probably will care to read the
manpage how to make it verbose.  How many emerge users know that option?

> As already said, it is nice to see, where a build hangs, when some
> specific task does take longer and until now, it was easy to see, just
> watch the output. With the new default, you cannot say, what it does,
> where it may be or if there are many things or just one line taking
> much time. And you additionally have to go to the build.log manually
> to actually see something.

Build output tells almost nothing about the progress (except of cmake).
Many packages compile in few minutes on average machine.  I hardly ever
experience hangs and if - it's usually for boost.  For those few
packages it's no harm to check build.log.

But --quiet-build=y actually gives more useful and handy info: what is
a total progress.  Which user cares about which module is actually being
compiled?  He/she cares more which package out of total is being
compiled at the moment.

> In addition, it is also nice to just a quick look into the console to
> see, what and where it failed.

When it fails, it prints tail of build.log.

--
Amadeusz Żołnowski