On 10:29 Wed 14 Dec     , Alec Warner wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 3:06 AM, Gaurav Saxena <grvsaxena...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > I am interested in doing my final year computer scence project on gentoo. I
> > would be having a duration of six months to work on the project. Could you
> > please suggest me some good project ideas that would be helpful to me as
> > well as gentoo. I am interested in parallel computing, data structures ,
> > operating system. I am well versed in C/C++. I think  there might be
> > projects which need to be done, I would like to work on them.
>
> The only idea I can think of for parallel computing / distributed
> systems would be at the build level.
>
> distcc-ng, a farm of user-controlled machines that compile your code
> in a p2p fashion.

I looked into this 6 or 7 years ago. It wasn't feasible unless you were
on an extremely high-speed, low-latency network, beyond what was
typically accessible at the time outside of universities and LANs. Could
be worth exploring again now that 25-100 mbps connections are becoming
more common.

--
Thanks,
Donnie