On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Just wanted to point out that (if there is enough memory) recent
>> kernels manage much better parallelism, even excess of it, once
>> reached the maximum load augmenting threads only bring minimal loss of
>> "real" time.
>
> Does that include handling complete lack of memory and heavy swapping?

I think the key was the "if there is enough memory" - which I think is
a pretty big issue.  Running 25 invocations of java each wanting
100-200MB of RAM will cripple a system relatively quickly.  And 25
really is just scratching the surface when most people think
"cluster."

I think the only way to really fix this would be to integrate
distributed behavior into make itself.

Rich