On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 11:40:02AM -0500, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
> I don't think anyone's asked this yet:
>
> Do we NEED to deprecate /bin,/sbin,/usr/sbin,/lib ?  I realize that
> udev/kmod/systemd are moving, but there isn't anything in particular
> that would require everything else to move, is there?

Well, I don't think everything is going to move immediately. The way I
see this happening is, udev/systemd/kmod are moving first, then other
upstreams will move their software.

If we don't move with them, I'm afraid that we will have more and more
customizations to maintain, either in the form of ebuilds using custom
build options, or maybe even software patches if programs operate with
the assumption that they are installed in /usr.

> I know that there was a compatibility-symlink discussion and in general
> it was thought that symlinks would be a bad idea..  but we could, for
> anything that would be required in /bin,/sbin for mdev AND /usr/bin for
> the new udev,etc (assuming there would actually be overlap, which I
> expect there wouldn't be) make the /usr/bin version be a symlink and
> keep /bin,/sbin,etc. around..  It would work at least as a temporary
> measure, until the new udev/kmod/systemd becomes the de-facto default?

Hmm, I'm not really interested in putting symbolic links in /usr/bin
linking to things in /bin or /sbin. I'm not following what that does for
us.

> Side note - if /lib is getting moved, does that mean /lib/modules is
> moving to /usr/lib/modules too?  So kernel modules are no longer on root?

This is an interesting question. I haven't heard one way or the other
what is happening with /lib/modules.

William