On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 18:50:49 +0100
Enrico Weigelt <weig...@metux.de> wrote:

> I don't want to repeat all the arguments, why these Windows-imitator
> guys are completely wrong, anymore. (IMHO already been said in this
> thread).

Yes, having a single locations for all applications is so-windows. We
should go the other way then, and create a separate prefix for every
application. I wonder why we removed that awesome /usr/X11R6.

> If upstream really wants to stick in that silly chance, it's time for
> a fork. We're already allocating about 20..30hrs per week beginning
> with 2012/2 for such a project in our resource plan. This stupidity
> can become really dangerous thousands of systems around the world,
> so it needs to be stopped.

Wow, an enterprise fork taking 20-30 hrs per week to reimplement hacks
necessary for running applications randomly spread over filesystems?

> BTW: the original argument (AFAIK) is that moving everything to
> /usr should somehow make maintenance easier. Well, how actually ?
> Perhaps for people who are too lazy to backup a few more directories ?
> Silly.

Enjoy sharing those few more directories over NFS. Ah, yes, only silly
people want to share their systems over NFS. Enterprise admins reserve
20-30 hrs per week to keep systems in sync.

> Actually, at this point, I'd raise the question why not dropping
> /usr instead (in little steps). The impact is practically the
> same (well, replaces the risk of unbootable system by the risk
> of filling up separated / filesystems) but would remove an
> then obsolete additional directory. ;-O

That's because people would like to get rid of additional directories
in /, not introduce additional ones. But if you really want to, we can
start making random packages install on rootfs. Just let us know when
they happily fill up your rootfs.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny