Hi all!

Today I tryed masked version of udev and kmod. My setup has all on lvm2 and i have sepparate usr patrition. To generate initrd i use dracut and genkernel branch from aidecoe. dracut since 0.14 has ability to mount usr from initrd.

x201 ~ # lvs
  LV        VG     Attr   LSize   Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
  boot      gentoo -wi-a- 128,00m
  distfiles gentoo -wi-ao  15,00g
  fscache   gentoo -wi-ao   4,00g
  home      gentoo -wi-ao 200,00g
  opt       gentoo -wi-ao   5,00g
  packages  gentoo -wi-ao   2,00g
  portage   gentoo -wi-ao 512,00m
  root      gentoo -wi-ao 512,00m
  swap      gentoo -wi-ao   8,00g
  tmp       gentoo -wi-ao   5,00g
  usr       gentoo -wi-ao  20,00g
  var       gentoo -wi-ao  15,00g

So this setup is working and boots fine here. We might want to recomend dracut as initrd solution in case of separate usr.
--
Best Regards,
Alexey 'Alexxy' Shvetsov