Hi.

Long story short:
localepurge will be removed from portage [1]. As I was (/am) heavy
user of it I found it funny that "linguas takes care of the proper
locale installation" [2]. Maybe it should, but there's some major
failure in lots of packages.

So I filled few dozen bugs about this, but it's not always an easy task
to make a package respect LINGUAS. As we talked about it on #gentoo-bugs
there were few suggestions to solve this issue.

Not directly related to solving, but will help (by ssuominen):
make a tracker bug for offending packages

And related to issue:
1) an eclass to clean unwanted locale/man pages/whatsoever - yngwin
suggested that theres something similar for qt [3]
2) something like FEATURES="fixlafiles" (fixlocale? ;)

Opinions?

[1]
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_1ad70654df864843b9b6d0da2f177183.xml
[2]
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_69c10fa4b1af60615e49f09e79c63dd1.xml
[3] -
000039 < yngwin>
https://gitorious.org/gentoo-qt/qt/blobs/master/eclass/qt4-edge.eclass
at the end has prepare_translations, but it's Qt specific

Piotr Szymaniak.
--
 - Zemscic  sie? - pociagnal  nosem Waldo. - Nie wiem.  Kiedys myslalem
o zemscie.  (...) Lecz koniec koncem, coz ona jest warta, ta zachwalana