On 03/09/12 12:11, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

>>> What if bash starts to parse the script completely and barfs at
>>> 'syntax error' before it starts executing stuff?
>
>> It doesn't parse the script completely, it executes line-by-line, so
>> we can bail out early.
>
> How can you tell that this behaviour won't be changed in a future bash
> version?

Who's to say that in the future my computer won't be made out of
delicious ice cream, eliminating the need for EAPIs entirely?

Chances are, this would break thousands of scripts, so we hope they
wouldn't do it. If it does happen, we either deal with it then, or don't
upgrade to that version of bash -- the same as we would do with any
other massive breaking change.

At any rate, I'm now convinced that we all want GLEP 55, but with a
different name.