On 12 March 2012 20:08, Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 03/11/2012 11:50 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
>> #!/usr/bin/env eapi-xml-5
>>
>> would send the current file ( foo.ebuild ) to the process "eapi-xml-5"
>> ( as defined by the current $PATH setting )
>
> All we need is a way for the package manager to probe the EAPI. Spawning
> a process to do that is just overkill.

Yeah, but if you read the rest of my message, you'll see my argument
that hinges around the fact most proposals so far tend to focus around
the fact the current format for ebuild is bash, and bash only, and  I
think it very hard to implement a language agnostic way to specify the
EAPI in a way that will work on languages where you

a) Can't use # to mark comments
b) May not even be working with the file directly, and perhaps
generating a .json file from a data-structure being serialised, and
the key named "EAPI" may be unpredictably placed near the end of the
.json file.

Case b is entirely plausible, and even realistic, because
non-script-based data-structures often don't bear importance on the
order of elements.

--
Kent

perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,