On 03/14/2012 13:59, Rich Freeman wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On 03/14/2012 10:11 AM, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
>>> What's wrong with:
>>>   * having an "early mounts" list file
>>>   * having an "early modules" list file
>>>   * init system in early boot (e.g., OpenRC in init.sh) loading "early
>>> modules" and mounting "early mounts" from /etc/fstab
>>
>> You're assuming that the /sbin/init hasn't migrated to /usr/sbin/init.
>> Other that that, it sounds like a perfect solution if you're in the "I'd
>> rather die than use an initramfs" camp.
>
> Well, anybody is welcome to create any replacement/addition for
> (/usr)/sbin/init or (/usr)/sbin/rc that they wish.  If you make it
> good enough, perhaps others will even use it.
>
> Beyond that, anything else is just a suggestion.  In the end the folks
> writing udev and systemd are writing code, which gets them a lot
> further than emails do...  :)

Debian has a small, yet fairly unique little package called "file-rc" that
replaces their more traditional init system with a single text file,
/etc/runlevels, to manage system services.  A small utility runs that parses
the text file and sets up the /etc/rc.x symlinks for you, based on that file.

Fairly novel little package.  Wholly-incompatible with Gentoo's system,
without fully replacing OpenRC, but I would actually be interested in seeing
something like this on Gentoo (such as something that simply parses and
executes rc-update to change things).

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/file-rc

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic