Zac Medico posted on Tue, 15 May 2012 15:24:53 -0700 as excerpted:

> Hi,
>
> In case you aren't familiar with it, here's the description from the
> make.conf(5) man page:
>
>   This causes the CONFIG_PROTECT behavior to be skipped for files that
>   have not been modified since they were installed.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to enable this by default, but I thought
> I'd ask here first, in case anyone has objections.

I've been using this for awhile now (tho IIRC it wasn't /that/ long ago
that I saw it popup as new in the portage changelog =:^), and have been
rather happy with it indeed! =:^)

Among other things, I used to get prompted at I think every update for a
whole slew of mc theme and hotkey file updates, when I never touched
those files.  Now I don't have to worry about 'em! =:^)  Same thing
(different files of course) with openrc, where I use the -9999 live-git
version and normally update once or twice a week to better track changes
that sometimes negatively affect me.

The best thing about it is not having to worry about missing an important
change in a file I DO change, due to all the noise from files I don't
touch.

So yes, definitely ++ to making it the default, from here! =:^)