On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 08:52:42PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Michael Weber <x...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Cloning the repo [1] takes 200seconds on 8cores (it's 2GB of data and
> > 22 minutes of 3.4GHz cpus).
> As others have pointed out, probably the best way to bootstrap this is
> to offer tarballs of a shallow repository and a full repository.
> Perhaps we'd offer the latter as a torrent.  The shallow repository
> should be light on the CPU too.
no.

i explicitly said before, there would be two repos:
1. main working repo, starts with ONLY initial commit. 40MB pack.
2. historical. read-only, you graft it to history to use.

BOTH of these would have preferred download via git-bundle over
HTTP/rsync. historical would NOT be available via clone due to cputime
hit.

please look up git-bundle before suggesting things like tarballs of
repos/checkouts.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robb...@gentoo.org