On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <a...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Although that is true, it would be -WAY- too slow to generate said
> list via equery/q* helpers; I think that's where the
> extended-attributes and/or cache idea comes into play.

I agree.  This needs to be high-performance when it comes to
individual file access.  If it takes 10 seconds per build to populate
some database or set up a bazillion bind mounts that isn't the end of
the world, but if it takes an extra 0.1 seconds every time a file is
read that could add up VERY fast on a large build.

Ideally I'd like to see the same thing extended to run-time, and short
of writing some entirely new security model into the kernel or taking
namespaces to a whole new level, part of me thinks that
auto-generating SELinux policies might be the solution, so that the
existing mechanism can be extended.

The mad scientist in me keeps thinking up crazy schemes so that
package collisions can be handled by each package just seeing whatever
it wants to see - maybe the entire filesystem looks different
depending on what app you use.  Then I realize that bash is an
application, and how on earth would a human make sense of a system
where no file has any stable identifier other than maybe a
content-hashed key.  Then that makes me wonder why we link to
libraries by filename anyway, when we could just give each library a
GUID and version, and maybe a more general identifier for cases where
you have alternate implementations.

But, as long as we're still just running Gentoo on Unix-like OSes
maybe tweaking the jail is a good place to start...

Rich