On 09/07/2012 09:58 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 09:53:46 -0700
> Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> If you're insinuating that Portage may not have a
>> "fully-ROOT-and-/-aware resolver", then I can assure you that this is
>> not a problem.
>
> In that case, why do we need HDEPEND at all?

With existing EAPIs, it's possible to use DEPEND for host buildtime-only
deps, RDEPEND for target build+run deps, and PDEPEND for target
runtime-only deps. However, there's no way to to specify buildtime-only
target deps (that aren't needed at runtime). The HDEPEND proposal
involves solves this by using HDEPEND for host buildtime-only deps, and
DEPEND for target buildtime-only deps.
--
Thanks,
Zac