On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 01:43:27PM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A few months ago, I filed bug 423651 to ask that bzip2 on the install
> > media be replaced with
> >  pbzip2. It was closed a short while later, telling me that it'd
> > involve changing what's kept in @system, and that had to be discussed
> > here, rather than in a bug report.
>
> If we're going to ship a parallel bzip2 implementation, it should be
> lbzip2 and not pbzip2.
>
> lbzip2 can decompress bz2 archives with multiple threads that haven't
> been compressed with lbzip2/pbzip2.

Afair I'm using PORTAGE_BZIP2_COMMAND with lbzip2 and it works fine.
Also some time ago I've changed a bit the (famous?) stage4 backup
script from g-wiki to support parallel gz/bz2 implementations (simple
check if there pbzip2/lbzip2/foobar installed and if yes, use it instead
of normal gzip/bzip2).

Maybe portage should be like my stage4 mod? If it finds some parallel
(de)compressor it should use it, if not fallback to standard gzip/bzip2?

Piotr Szymaniak.
--
 - Jeden hamburger na dziesiec ci zaszkodzi. Jeden moj stary przyjaciel
to sprawdzil.  Zjadal dziewiec hamburgerow i byl idealnie zdrowy, a gdy