On 31/10/12 17:39, Alexis Ballier wrote:
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 11:35:41 -0400
Ian Stakenvicius <a...@gentoo.org> wrote:

On 31/10/12 11:26 AM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 18:39:44 -0600 Ryan Hill
<dirtye...@gentoo.org> wrote: [...]
The file is pointless if not everyone is using it. I've
offered to remove the file before, and I'm reoffering to do so
now.

It's pointy enough for most uses.  Let's keep it that way.

I would like to know what are those uses. Here are my thoughts
about changelogs:

We have cvs logs, cvsweb, etc. So what is the value added from
changelogs? Well, those logs are per-file as far as I know, and
since a new version of a package means a new .ebuild file, keeping
track of changes to packages is painful without a changelog which
is global to the whole package. Even if we have all the needed
information in the cvs log, changelogs for packages are definitely
useful. Now for eclasses the situation is different: I want to
know what has recently changed in foo.eclass, what is the fastest
way? Search through a changelog file with dozens of absolutely
unrelated information, or run cvs log/go to sources.gentoo.org ? I
tend to do the latter and find eclass changelogs completely
useless.

Cool, you do, that's great.  This doesn't mean others don't use a
different process tho, and since it *IS* there and is *SUPPOSED* to be
filled, and it really doesn't hurt to run 'echangelog "${msg}" && cvs
ci -m "${msg}"' , why not do it?

so that others are not encouraged to work sub-optimally :)

eclass/ handling should go to repoman and the automated ChangeLog process, should be rather straight forward for knowing person.