On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 12:13:37AM -0500, Richard Yao wrote:
> We do not need to justify the need for our project before it is
> announced or even after it is announced. It is free to conflict with
> RedHat's systemd project. If we find next year that we can reconcile
> with Kay Sievers and Lennart Poettering, then we are free to do that.
> These projects need not be long term commitments.

systemd is not a "Red Hat" project at all.  It just happens to have some
of the developers of it working for them.  If that is their job to
develop it or not, is unknown to all of us.

Also, in the beginning of systemd, a lot of the code, and research, was
done by someone working for a distro different than Red Hat.

systemd is a freedesktop.org project, that is all, please don't play
this as a distro-vs-distro issue, otherwise it will end up looking like
it is a "Gentoo vs. the world" thing, and I, as a long-term Gentoo
developer, do not want that at all.

So, I'll say this again, why is this project getting the copyright of
the Gentoo Foundation?  Is it an "official" project of Gentoo in some
manner?

And, to all of you who have emailed me privately saying they don't want
to talk about this on-list, that's what gentoo-core is for, I'd be glad
to take it there if you feel gentoo-dev is to "public" for stuff like
this.  Otherwise, this is opensource, we do development in the open, not
in private.

thanks,

greg k-h