On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 09:39:59AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Joshua Kinard <ku...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Correct me if wrong, but didn't the issue start with udev wanting to put the
> > PCI ID database/file into /usr/share from /etc?
>
> Well, I can't vouch for what the first issue that arose was, but I do
> recall discussion that bluetooth keyboards also required libraries in
> /usr.
>
> Right now it takes less common situations to trigger problems with a
> separate /usr, but the general trend is not favorable.  It isn't just
> software changes either - if I told somebody 15 years ago that USB
> keyboards were going to be problematic but standard PS2 keyboards
> would always work just fine, they'd say there was nothing to worry
> about since PS2 keyboards would always be around.  For all we know in
> 5 years you won't be able to buy a USB keyboard.
>
> So, udev has been pushing things along to some extent, but the problem
> is definitely bigger than udev.

I'm glad someone else on this list finally realizes that udev did not break
separate /usr on its own. I've been trying to explain this to people
here for ages.

It isn't just programs that use libraries in /usr/lib that are broken.
Any program in early boot that tries to access data files in /usr/share
before /usr is mounted is broken, so for example, locales do not
work before /usr is mounted.

William