On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 11:30:58AM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 07:06:04PM -0800, Greg KH wrote
> > There isn't anything in udev to change for this.  I don't understand
> > why you are thinking that udev has anything to do with this issue
> > at all.
>
>   Before version 181, udev booted with a separate /usr.  As of 181, it
> doesn't.  If anything, I would argue that udev 181 was deliberately
> broken.  The fact is, udev made new - and insane - rules that are simply
> *invalid*.  Modern udev is broken, and needs to be fixed.

Is that because the 181 package moved files to /usr/ which is under the
control of the Gentoo packager, or because the source release of 181
upstream changed something?

I can't see anything in the 181 source release to cause this to happen,
care to point out the offending commits to me, as I must be missing
soemthing.

> > It's other packages that are the problem here.
>
>   You mean like systemd?  When udev got rolled into the systemd tarball,
> and started sharing code with systemd, it also inherited its
> restrictions and separate-/usr-brokeness.

Again, any specific pointer to a commit in the tree that caused this?

thanks,

greg k-h