On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 11:19:20 +0100
Tomáš Chvátal <tomas.chva...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently we put portage into /usr/portage and all related stuff is to
> be in the subfolders there (distfiles, binpkg).
>
> I've always myself override these defaults in make.conf to point for
> /var/portage/ (not /var/lib because I never bothered enough how to
> make world and config files to be put elsewhere :P).
>
> The only reason why we have this currently in usr is that bsd ports
> put their stuff in there and I suppose Daniel just did the same.
>
> With respect to reality how stuff is done in the linux land all the
> variable data should be in /var so we should adjust and move it in
> there too.
>
> What would you think?

do it. stick it somewhere in /var. i have a small SLC SSD just for /var and
/usr/portage partitions, since those consistently incur high writes. dropping
to just one partition for all that i/o would be real nice.

if this proposed change is made, please make sure to contact the GDP. while we
don't update things like manpages or elog announcements, we would have a ton of
stuff to fix in gentoo.org/doc/en/ . also, make sure stuff is sorted out on the
catalyst/releng end well in advance, so users aren't stuck with bad stages.