On 01/24/13 15:26, viv...@gmail.com wrote:
>> If you're going to upgrade both anyway, you should be upgrading the
>> kernel first. That way if you lose power or the system crashes, the box
>> can reboot.
>>
> which can be the exact opposite order if instead you have to _disable_ a
> feature in the kernel which would make udev not bootable.
> Don't remember exactly what, but it happened in the past when Greg was
> still maintainer and an obsolete feature was making udev confused.

Suppose, you're on e.g. udev-1, and,

  * udev-2 requires CONFIG_FOO=n
  * udev-1 will not boot with CONFIG_FOO=y

Then it doesn't make much sense to die without CONFIG_FOO=n, because it
can't possibly exist. So we would warn with either a non-fatal config
check or news item. Hopefully we would also execute the person responsible.