On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:
> On 01/24/13 13:58, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
>>

>> How about, you know what you're doing and are going to build a new
>> kernel as soon as the emerge finishes (since the emerge is also
>> bringing in a new gentoo-sources)??
>>

> If you're going to upgrade both anyway, you should be upgrading the
> kernel first. That way if you lose power or the system crashes, the box
> can reboot.

The problem is that we're trying to solve a very specific issue (a
udev upgrade, which already happened) with a general solution.

Whatever we come up with has to be override-able in a way that doesn't
then just come back to haunt them.

As far as what order you upgrade what in - in the case where I'd be
most likely to run into this the system wouldn't be bootable before I
upgrade, or after I upgrade.  I'd tend to run into this issue when
building a new system from a stage3 - just dump a bunch of stuff in
@world (including a kernel) and then run an emerge -uDN world followed
by building a kernel.

Yes, this isn't a typical case, and neither are the 10 billion other
cases where config checks break.  However, typical users don't run
Gentoo to begin with.  Everybody has some odd case or another - so we
warn people of potential breakage before we break things and let them
use the brains they needed to get Gentoo working in the first place.

Rich