On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 11:09:15 +0200
Samuli Suominen <ssuomi...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> >> That should be probably the best approach, to actually kill of the
> >> lone ones and keep the linux-firmware only.
> >
> > I disagree. Why should we force users to install lots of crap (some of
> > it being non-free) that they will never need because they don't have
> > the hardware?
> >
> > Ulrich
> >

> Maybe you don't understand how linux-firmware package works. It only
> installs what you want -- it uses the savedconfig eclass to handle a
> list of wanted firmwares.
>
> I admit I never bothered to trim down my install of it, but the point is
> YOU CAN do it.

I don't think that solves the license problem properly. Say, if user
doesn't want non-free software, he's going to have the whole package
masked. He'd have to work-around license + savedconfig.

Now that I look at it, it seems that the ebuild doesn't even put all
necessary licenses into LICENSE. I may be wrong but the git repo seems
to have a lot of non-standard licenses.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny