On 02/17/2013 04:03 PM, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
> In the last time I'm helping some other arches (also arches which I
> have no interest) because they appears understaffed.
>
> Days ago, I tried to make a virtual machine with qemu, for SH since
> the dev- machine[1] is a bit slow; well, I discovered we have no
> ISO[2] available and there is no handbook[3] for it.
>
> The same thing is for S390/S390X/M68K/. So how I am able to install
> one of that _supported_ arches if there isn't any sort of guide?
>
> An interesting fact is that we have an handbook for MIPS[4], a
> declared unsupported architecture (does not make sense for me).
>
> Another example is that we have no stable keyword on GCC/glibc for
> m68k and I don't know if I need to use another compiler or another
> libc.
>
> Checking on bugzilla I saw no report for some of those arches, so
> for me that _partially_ means that probably there are very few
> users for those arches on gentoo.
>
> Now, imho, we have 2 choice:
>
> 1)Support them with an iso or at least a manual if we can't do an
> handbook 2)Lose the stable keyword and don't waste manpower
> anymore.
>
> What do you think about?
>
> Ref: [1]:
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/dev-machines.xml [2]:
> http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml [3]:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/#doc_chap2 [4]:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-
> mips.xml?style=printable&full=1

First you need to tell us what arches you think they are considered
'minor' and/or understaffed so we can finally document that. Then, in
my opinion, the ideal approach would be to just drop the stable
keywords for them.

- --
Regards,
Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang