On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 10:48:07PM -0500, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote

> I am sorry that this package has been such a headache for you,
> unfortunately binary drivers (especially) are often like that. Thanks
> for all your hard work keeping this usable.

  I'm not a C programmer, let alone a developer, so this may be a stupid
question, but here goes... has anyone ever tried doing a HAL (Hardware
Abstraction Layer) to present a reasonably stable interface to binary
video drivers?  Think of it as a shim translating a "pseudo-API" into
"the real API" that the kernel exposes directly.  Surely, we can do
better than VESA.  Give drivers 2 options...
1) direct kernel access like now
2) access via the HAL/shim

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>